Old landlord is trying to sue me for something i paid for already. what can i do?

Dearborn Heights, MI |

was in a horrible roomate situation where he didnt pay rent we were evicted, and my wages were garnished for the amount of rent owed. i recently recieved a letter from the attorney 3 yrs after it was paid off. i am not the only person on the lease and since my wages were already garnished i feel i shouldnt be responsible.

More information is needed. What is the landlord trying to charge you for, now? Was there anything that was not paid, before? While it does not seem fair, it is likely that you and any other roommates were jointly and severally liable for any and all charges.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Usually tenants are jointly and severally liable for the rent. So the landlord can collect it all from you and you have top go after them. However if it was paid you have the defense of "accord and satisfaction" or Res judicata.
Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Landlord-tenant topics