Old I-20 terminated and grace period passed, but new I-20 is not valid yet. Have I overstayed?

San Jose, CA |

I just graduated and want to pursue another master's degree. My old I-20 terminated on 5/6/2013, so my grace period ended on 7/5/2013. My new I-20 is issued, but it will not be valid until 9/3/2013. My F-1 visa is valid until 7/31/2013. So my question is: have I overstayed in US? If yes, what problems I will meet in the future, and what can I do about it? Thank you!

Best to pose these questions to your school's DSO and/or FSA.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with my colleague.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

You are out of status but it is still rectifiable. talk to your DOS

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Education law topics