Ok so I was driving this guys vehicle which he gave me permission to drive and I caused damage to it. Am I liable to pay.

Sterling, CO |

Ok so I was driving this guys vehicle which he gave me permission to drive and we were messing around and he was chasing me and I hit a ditch and bottomed out and apparently I damaged his vehicle, I don't know this for sure. And he said if I don't pay he's gonna take me to court. Am I still liable to pay even though he gave me permission to drive it. Neither of us have insurance.

If you were negligent and caused damage, you are liable. If he was chasing you, he may be partly responsible himself.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Yes, you were at fault and are liable to pay.

You should not be driving a vehicle without insurance. The fact that someone gives you permission to drive their vehicle does not mean you have carte blanche to cause damages. If you are responsible for the accident and you caused damages to the vehicle, you are liable for the cost of the repairs. You may also be liable for rental car expenses and/or loss of use damages for a reasonable period of time.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Yes. If you are at fault for driving too fast you are responsible for damages you cause. That you had permission to drive the car is irrelevent if there is no insurance.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Yes. A car is a 4000 or so pound deadly weapon. You shouldn't be "messing around" and chasing each other! Especially since you don't have insurance! What if you hit another vehicle and caused injury to someone else? The owner can take you to court - he may have some liability because he was involved, but you were driving. Period.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Did he give you permission to damage it??? This is not a hard question. Whether you had permission to drive the vehicle or not, the person who caused the damage is responsible for it. That person is you.

You can reach Colorado Legal Solutions by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Colorado Legal Solutions and any person. Sometimes free advice is only worth as much as you paid for it. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Richard Todd Rosenstein

Richard Todd Rosenstein

Good question!