Skip to main content

Ok let me add detail what are the chances of being found guilty for having sex with my 17 year old girlfriend?

Yucaipa, CA |

When this all happened i was 18 now I'm 19. Well she said she was 18 and I went over to her house we were in my car just kissing and touching but not having sex when her father came out calling the police and that's when I found out she was 17. Then her father said we were having sex when the police got me and asked why I did it I said cause she's my girlfriend and was in jail for a day. I really want to know what's going to happen because I want to join the army and I also don't want to have to register as a sex offender

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There are many different types of sexual offenses in California which do not required PC 290 registration. These are commonly called Romeo and Juliet laws and deal with two parties who are generally both under age, but they can also be used for people who are generally within three years of each other.

    Since you are only just barely 18 and she is 17, absent any other ugly facts, the only real evidence against you is the father who will falsely state he saw you have sex and your statement which the DA will try and use against you. You need to contact a private attorney now to discuss this matter. Please feel free to contact my office. I do the occasional case in San Mateo. Good luck.

  2. Even if you we're to be charged in this case it would be a misdemeanor 261.5. I have never had a client register for this charge. Seek out and speak to an attorney. This case is defensible and should never be filed. You need to do this now though and stop waiting.

  3. Your best situation is to retain an attorney since it may be possible to have the charges rejected by the DA before filing. If not, there are plenty of early solutions but the key is early representation because early contact by your attorney is important in this matter.

    Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation and payment plans. I suggest meeting with at least one soon while the facts are still fresh in your mind.
    (800) 409-7010

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  4. I know you already posted this question several days ago, but it seems you added an additional fact, in that you admitted to the father that you had sex with her. Bad move. If you're convicted of a sex offense, you are not going into the military because they won't take you. Unfortunately, none of us can predict the future and we haven't seen any police report. You're probably going to need an attorney but don't post any more details on this site. The cops might be watching.

    The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics