Ok i had my daughter last year and acs took her without proably cause and when they put me into a service they procastinated wit

Flushing, NY |

h helping me with housing and returning her to me can i sue

1. You **may** be able to seek a certain kind of relief for review of administrative determinations in New York called an Article 78 proceeding to reverse determinations of officials which have no rational basis ("arbitrary or capricious" or not based on substantial evidence) or claims in a special court, the Court of Claims, against the State if you suffered monetary damages, but both of these remedies have very short statutes of limitation and special procedures.

So the answer, practically speaking, is generally "no", especially given societies interest in protecting minor children from abuse and neglect and the wide discretion that the system gives those social workers charged with making the call in the first instance.

So you should see a lawyer perhaps to get the true skinny on your facts (which I wouldn't post in detail on this non-confidential forum), but expect the answers not to be encouraging unless what the social workers did was totally unfounded and outrageous (and just being wrong about the allegations of abuse is not enough)/*...such as the not-unusual malicious lie of an ex- that the CP is doing drugs or abusing the child or a misperception by a teacher or pediatrician...they get to act first and be wrong later if a child is in jeopardy...

*/ an example of something outrageous is the network of social workers in Pennsylvania who were referring children to corrupt judges who confined the children in institutional foster care facilities they owned, not normal "mistakes" of CPS workers.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. Propably not as there is qualified immunity for ACS. You should speak with an attorney in regard to all of the facts of your case.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

3. Most likely not. When they took your daughter, you could have filed a petition in family court and expedited the matter.

Child custody topics