OK, I am confused. Is it the ecig device that is illegal for minors to have or is it the nicotine liquid? The device

Lewisville, TX |

Only burns the liquid that comes in nicotine and non nicotine form. If a minor has ecig with non nicotine liquid how is that illegal ? there is no tobacco at all

From what I can tell the law here has failed to come up with a good answer to this question. But from the statutes it appears that it is illegal for a minor to posses, consume, etc. a "tobacco product." Tobacco product includes tobacco substitute. In negotiations I would argue that this is not a tobacco substitute, but I was unable to find a quick definition. I think its a good argument but I can't guarantee its success. Hope this helps.
P.S. this is the link to all of Texas's tobacco statutes. http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/tobacco/laws.shtm

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

I agree that possession of an e-cig without the liquid appears not to be a criminal offense. The liquid is a "tobacco product," but the e-cig meets neither the definition of cigarette nor tobacco product. I think it is analogous to possessing a pipe with no tobacco. However, I would not be surprised to see some Judges interpret the law differently. Also, this does not mean that a minor has a right to purchase the e-cig. It just means that a minor in possession of one may or not be subject to criminal penalties.

This statement is intended for general information and does not form at attorney/client relationship. If interested in representation please contact me at (817) 870-9885 to schedule a consultation.

I agree with my colleagues. The device is not illegal for minors to possess, per say. By itself, with no substance to smoke, then one should be ok. However, all forms of tobacco and tobacco substitutes are illegal for minors to possess.

My answers are not intended as anything more than an educational response to generic questions posted on this site.