OK , so my husband got my friend pregnant , we are wondering if she can give us guardianship of the baby ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Longmont, CO

she doesn't want the baby at all seeings how she just had one . I am curious how we go about getting the baby and making it legal for me to take the baby to doctors and such if need be ?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

6

Answered . Your husband, as the biological father, already has the right to take the child to the doctor and whatnot. Legal action is only needed to cement your rights.

The most straight forward solution would be adoption. The biological mother could relinquish her parental rights and you could adopt your husband's baby.

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

4

Answered . I'm sorry that you find yourself in this situation, but it sounds like you are doing everything possible to act in a very honorable fashion. In order to avoid problems down the road, please retain a qualified attorney in Colorado to represent you. He or she will walk you through the process of terminating the woman's parental rights and allowing you and your husband to be the child's legal parents. Good luck to you.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . The better solution would be adoption.
    If she is willing-she can sign papers so that
    you can join your husband as the parent of the child.
    An adoption/family law attorney can guide you through the process.
    If you prefer guardianship-a family/guardianship attorney can guide you
    that process.