Skip to main content

Offshore structuring

Miami, FL |

Is it possible for an offshore export/import company that has contract with US and Canadian suppliers to bill from offshore and send the goods for fullfilment and shipping from the US to South America? We are looking at structuring such operation to the best bennefit of taxation so that we dont get double taxed in the US. We are foreign citizens wanting to establisha presence in the US and eventually move there.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You need a hire an attorney to analyze something as complex as this if you expect to get any answers worth putting your money up. You could lose a lot of money being wrong about something like this. And you are correct, you would need to structure it properly so you are not subject to taxation for the fulfillment and shipping operation. At some point, you have enough of a business presence even if you aren't selling here.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Seattle Tax Attorney
    Bellevue Tax Attorney
    Everett Tax Attorney
    Renton Tax Attorney
    Insight Law - Tax Lawyer - Facebook
    Insight Law - Tax Lawyer - LinkedIn
    Insight Law - Tax Lawyer - Twitter
    Tax Attorney Seattle, WA

  2. You need to consult with a business attorney, preferably one who handles international matters. This forum cannto provide you with such detailed advice.

    Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --

  3. This is well beyond the scope of this forum. Please contact a local International Tax Lawyer.

  4. I work with international clients willing to open branch offices in the US dealing with global operations. Feel free to contact my office. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

  5. As you have been warned, this is very serious law you are questioning. You must get representation or it's like playing with fire. You will likely get burned. I have worked with some excellent attorneys in this area of the law who are located right here in Miami.

    The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate issues. Find out more about me at:

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics