Officer wrote down driver's license number on citation incorrectly, is it void?

Sacramento, CA |

I was pulled over for speeding, 82 on a 65. For detail sake, I was speeding up to pass someone to catch an exit, and he happened to catch me at that moment on radar. He claims I was passing people up on the road, but I wasn't.

However, the officer wrote down my driver's license incorrectly, he wrote a 2 instead of a 5, or so it looks like a 2 on the citation. Am I entitled to anything?

This happened in Sacramento, CA.

1. You may have other defenses, but the clerical error is not going to void the ticket.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.

2. This is many times referred to as a "Scrivener's Error" and usually has no affect on the ticket or the charge. If there were several such errors in the ticket, you may be able to use that in support of a defense, but unlikely. As long as the charge is correct and you are properly notified of that charge, the case will go forward.

By responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Traffic tickets topics