Officer wrote down driver's license number on citation incorrectly, is it void?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I was pulled over for speeding, 82 on a 65. For detail sake, I was speeding up to pass someone to catch an exit, and he happened to catch me at that moment on radar. He claims I was passing people up on the road, but I wasn't.

However, the officer wrote down my driver's license incorrectly, he wrote a 2 instead of a 5, or so it looks like a 2 on the citation. Am I entitled to anything?

This happened in Sacramento, CA.

1. Michael J Silveira

Pro

6

Answered . This will not affect your ticket.

2. Alan Graham Keating

6

Answered . You may have other defenses, but the clerical error is not going to void the ticket.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

Answered . Clerical errors do not get ticked dismissed .

4. James Donald Garrett

4

4

Answered . This is many times referred to as a "Scrivener's Error" and usually has no affect on the ticket or the charge. If there were several such errors in the ticket, you may be able to use that in support of a defense, but unlikely. As long as the charge is correct and you are properly notified of that charge, the case will go forward.

5. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . No