Officer withdrew charges against my license for dui less safe at the als hearing so what will happen next?

Asked about 4 years ago - Stone Mountain, GA

the agreement was that i did not have to say i was guilty or say it was wreckless driving. we did not have a plea agreement. after he withdrew the charges the following week i went to the arraignment. i pled not guilty. spoke to someone and she said i didnt qualify for a public defender. cant afford a lawyer. and she gave me another date for a calendar call. i dont know what to do...

1. Lance Warren Tyler

1

12

Answered . You should take advantage of the free consultations offered by any number of DUI defense attorneys on AVVO. During the free consultation, most DUI defense attorneys will tell you what you are facing on a plea of guilty to DUI as well as how to defend against the charge. If you are contesting the DUI, you will need an attorney to get through motions and trial. If you cannot afford an attorney, even with a payment plan, you will still have a better idea of what you are facing and what to be sure to ask for when you negotiate with the solicitor.
    To answer your question, at calendar call the judge will ask you to make an announcement regarding your case. If you are going to trial, you will need to announce ready and tell the court whether you wish to have a bench or jury trial and whether you wish to have the trial reported (a record of the trial by a court reporter). You will also have another opportunity to discuss your case with the solicitor and to enter a negotiated plea in the case. Between now and your calendar call date, you should request a copy of the police report and should seek additional information and discovery concerning your case.

2. Elmer H. Young III

Answered . The ALS hearing result will put you back in a place where you may get your driving privileges reinstated. Take a copy of the order to the DDS to begin that process. Now with respect to the criminal side of the case: You will find some wonderful expert DUI lawyers in the Atlanta area on this site. The best will have a "Superb" rating. I would scedule and appointment to meet and discuss you case with one or more of them. They will advise you of the next steps that should be taken. There are numerous Legal Guides including my own to help you with this process. Here is a link to some of my Legal Guides with some interesting issues that may be of interest: http://www.avvo.com/search/guides_authored_by_s... .

3. Elmer H. Young III

4. Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

Answered . You will need to hire yourself an attorney to represent your interest. I caution to not wait until the very last minute to begin the process of hiring an attorney unless you are in a financial position to pay the full fee at that time. Also, any attorney will need time to prepare your defense. That is difficult to do if hired right before your court date. Feel free to contact me. Good Luck!

P. Darrell Kimbrell