Officer stopped me for passing a stop sign. I believe I did stop, and will plead not guilty. What will happen in court if

Asked 12 months ago - Cedarhurst, NY

I say I stopped and he says I didn't. I'm a good driver and would not pass a stop sign. When I speak to the prosecutor, does the officer also have his say? I don't know how to handle because I will be calling officer a liar and don't want to be disrespectful but I feel he needed to give tickets that day.

1. Taylor A. Koss

Pro

8

Answered . If its your word vs the Police Officer's word...odds are his word will prevail. If you get an experienced traffic court attorney, you might have a better shot.

2. Yefim Rubinov

8

Answered . Get a lawyer to help you negotiate and or fight the ticket. It's your word against his. Most probably his word will prevail.

3. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

7

Answered . An attorney cannot teach you his skills here. Hire one to ensure best results.

4. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

7

Answered . This is where you are wrong. The place to call the officer a liar is in court. You are doing what most people do wrong. Most people run their mouths in the street and clam up in court. The street is the place to shut up and in court is the very place to SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF! However, you do not do it by directly calling the cop a liar of course. You focus your cross examination on his observations, biases (i.e. maybe he was on overtime or detailed to sit on the sign), and the elements of the crime. Then you get on the stand and you don't testify in any wishy-washy fashion that you "think" you stopped; rather, you testify in clear, plain, unadulterated language that you in fact CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP. This nonsense that you "believe" you stopped is a joke. Unless you can truthfully testify and affirm that you DID STOP do not testify. After all testimony, where you testify or not, MAKE A STRONG CLOSING ARGUMENT! Point out the weaknesses the the people's case/ Remember, they have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt - you do not have to prove anything! Good luck.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

7

Answered . Your both sound rationale and plausible explanation make sense, however, your premises will not be as effective as a competent professional presentation and case handling by a traffic attorney who routinely practices in that court. Why? Two reasons, professional skill and experience will make that counsel more effective than your explanations.
    I suggest discussing your options with such local traffic counsel.

6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . Hire a DMV attorney to represent you.

7. Michael R Crosner

5

Answered . It is difficult a win a one on one court trial with a police officer's adverse testimony. It is not that you intended to pass a sign, but if in fact you did. I would suggest attempting to illustrate that the office was not in a good position to see the limit line etc. - you need to prepare by viewing carefully the scene & taking photos from different views. Probably best to consult a local traffic ticket attorney - many offer freed consultations