Occupation limitations (From OPT to H-1B)

Asked almost 6 years ago - Baltimore, MD

I received two B.S. degrees (Economics and Computer Science) back in 2006 at an accreditied U.S. university. I'm finishing my M.S. degree in Finance at another U.S. university in August 2009.

What concerns me is the limitations that my finance degree places on my ability to get an H-1B visa. I have doubts about whether I can apply for an H-1B visa with a job relevant to my computer science degree.

If I find a computer/IT related job during my OPT period, can I apply for H-1B even though my most recent degree is a finance degree?

Ann - Thanks for your follow up. There's a likely chance that I can take a teaching job (as a computer science instructor) at my current university immediately after my graduation in August.

But since I can't use my finance degree OPT for this job, does it mean I will have to apply for the H-1B before April 2009 (while I'm still on a F-1 visa)? Much thanks to you and other readers of this message.

1. Ann Massey Badmus

Answered . Based upon the information you have provided, if the computer/IT related job requires a bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree, you can still apply for the H-1B even though you have a master's degree in finance. Keep in mind, however, that your OPT requires that your job relates to your most recent field of study. You should consult with an immigration attorney before accepting employment related to your OPT and/or H-1B.