Skip to main content

Obtaining county service for summons and Complaint

Malibu, CA |
Filed under: Summons and complaint

I understand If you cannot afford to pay filing fees the court can waive them and collect if you win a case. Can you also obtain free or postponed fees for having the Sheriff serve a Summons and Complaint

Attorney Answers 2


I believe that having the sheriff give notice is covered by the fee waiver. See Judicial Counsel form FW-001-INFO, section 1. If you win or settle for more than $10,000.00 the court is etitled to recover the costs waived.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You could also ask a friend to do the service for you. You do not have to use the sheriff or a professional server. Any competent person over 18, who is not a party to the action, can serve a summons and complaint.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics