Obama 2013 Syrian Immigration law

Glen Burnie, MD |

I heard there is a new law regarding Syrians in the USA.

1. President Obama recently ordered an additional $15 million in emergency aid for Syrian refugees. This is not direct immigration benefit for Syrians, but rather is designed to help with urgent refugee and migration needs.

2. There is no law directed to protecting Syrians in the U.S. There is a designation of Temporary Protected Status which permits Syrians to live in the U.S. during the course of the civil atrocities. TPS is not status (even though it sounds like it is). It does provide work authorization. However it is distinct from asylum which would permit a person to get status. I'd retain an attorney who is familiar with Syrian issues.

3. No such law.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.