NY Upward Modification of Child Support - Got any tips for do-it-yourself legal representation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

I am reaching out in hopes others can tell me what critical lessons they learned from surviving family court litigation for "upwards modification" of support orders in high income cases. Looking to glean your wisdom, experience, and any sample/protype documents or verbage. Thanks!

1. Marco Caviglia

3

Answered . Unfortunately, this is not a "survivor's forum" for general exchange of tips and strategies and there are better sites for that. You should consult with a family law attorney who can give you all the tips and stratgies for the litigation in one meeting, explaining to him you need advice, and don't want representation.

2. Maria C. Tebano

1

Answered . I believe you already posed this question and received answers. Please review them.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . No. Just as I cannot perform open heart surgery on myself so you cannot go to a court and do it yourself. Court is not an intuitive thing and court is not a box with buttons you push in the correct sequence. There are as many variations to a case as there are facts in a case. Facts (the input) all intertwine with the "law" (the function) to produce output. There is no "tip" as to how to optimize your output.

I am also quite surprised you ask about "high income cases" but you appear to want to save money on a lawyer in a child support case. That's like wanting to save money on a transmission fluid change that leads to a far more expensive transmission repair and car replacement. The few thousand dollars you save now on your support case can translate into hundreds of thousands of dollars in overpaid support which can never be refunded to you. It befuddles me as to what you are doing.

I do wish you the best of luck. Remember that in today's America, you cannot have a child (UCCJEA, CAPTA, ASFA, CSSA ... ) without also having a family lawyer.