NY labor laws for part-time employees

New York |

I'm currently employed as a part-time employee in Long Island. I've been with this company for over 2 and a half yrs but they have never offered a full time position. Currently, I work at a hourly wage of $16.00 per hour and until recently worked anywhere from 45-50 hours per week. Now they are prohibiting overtime for myself but allowing it for only full-time employees. Are there any rights for part time employees such as how long you can be kept as "part time"? Is this discrimination to allow only "full time' to take overtime? Thank you.

1. An employee at will can be fired for no cause at all. Without a union or an employment contract you have to recourse.

Discrimination based on gender, age, race, religious beliefs etc.. may give rise to a different answer.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.