NY Family Court, is there a page limit on a reply brief?

New York, NY |

In Child Support case. Reply to Opposition to Motion to Compel.

At the Family Court level, there is no known limitation, but you're best advised to check with the part Clerk. The Judge/Magistrate has the discretion of rejecting overly-voluminous papers. A good rule of thumb is not to exceed 14,000 words (borrowed from the Appellate Division's rules) between the affirmation, affidavit an any accompanying memorandum of law.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

2. Not that I am aware of; however, absent my own certainty on this issue, what I would suggest, if no other attorney replies to this inquiry with certainty, is speaking with the Court to determine whether it adheres to a specific set of court rules. Procedure can vary from court to court, so even if you do receive a firm answer, it may still be wise to call the court as a precaution. Good luck!

3. There is no state-wide rule but you should contact the part clerk to see if that judge / magistrate has his or her own rules. Regardless of whether the court has rules on the issue, generally, courts do not want unnecessary voluminous documents.

The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.

Child support topics