NY Family Court, is there a page limit on a reply brief?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

In Child Support case. Reply to Opposition to Motion to Compel.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . At the Family Court level, there is no known limitation, but you're best advised to check with the part Clerk. The Judge/Magistrate has the discretion of rejecting overly-voluminous papers. A good rule of thumb is not to exceed 14,000 words (borrowed from the Appellate Division's rules) between the affirmation, affidavit an any accompanying memorandum of law.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Nanette Ida Buoneto

2

Answered . Not that I am aware of; however, absent my own certainty on this issue, what I would suggest, if no other attorney replies to this inquiry with certainty, is speaking with the Court to determine whether it adheres to a specific set of court rules. Procedure can vary from court to court, so even if you do receive a firm answer, it may still be wise to call the court as a precaution. Good luck!

3. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

2

Answered . There is no state-wide rule but you should contact the part clerk to see if that judge / magistrate has his or her own rules. Regardless of whether the court has rules on the issue, generally, courts do not want unnecessary voluminous documents.