Skip to main content

NVC processing time.

Berlin, CT |

I received a response from NVC informing me that my stepson's application for an "immigrant visa" is now ready to be process and was instructed to send US$88 for AOS fee. On the very same leter, there was also a mention that, " if the applicant intends to file an adjustment of status with the USCIS", I should inform the NVC first before sending in any fees. Does this mean that there will be more paperwork to be submitted and the processing time will take longer before his case be send over to American Consular abroad? And normally, how long does this process takes? Thank- you very much.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Your question is confusing. If your son is eligible to adjust his status, he can submit his application now. The processs usually takes 4-6 months. If not, he needs to complete his paperwork with the NVC and they will send his paperwork to the US Embassy abroad. The process will be even shorter.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. The very fact that your case is at NVC means that you had indicated in your green card petition (also known as immigrant visa petition) that you are seeking consular processing and not adjustment of status in the US. If this is what you wanted, then it should take a few weeks from the moment you submit the required documents to transfer the case to the embassy. If this is not what you wanted, consult a lawyer ASAP. I generally recommend using a lawyer for this long and document-intensive and sometimes confusing process.

    This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

  3. I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics