Now that i have fired my lawyer can i still get all that a lawyer asks for?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orange, CA

I obtained a lawyer in which he had no understanding of my case so i fired him. There was no case opened in court. The company already admitted fault and wanted me to proceed with sending medical bills ect. so they could close the claim. I have all paper work needed from doctors to proclaim my injurys and forthgoing time of returning to work. I was asking if it is possible if i could proceed in pro-per. Any help would be appreciated.....

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

17

Answered . Going up against insurance claims adjusters without experience in pursuing claims, knowledge about the internal insurance company procedues and the ability to initiate civil litigation smoothly if required is in fact going to devalue your case.

This is not what you want to hear. But, claims adjusters are trained licensed professionals. They work for the insurance industry, which is part of the financial services sector of the economy. This means that their basic fundamental duty is to maximize profits by optimizing premiums and investments and minimizing their payouts, like to you.

Doing it alone is pure folly. Here's why: [Blue Link Below]

2. Marc Lazarus

15

Answered . You can act on your own behalf, but you are
    far more likely to get a better outcome if you have a good attorney representing you. It sounds as though you had a bad experience with an attorney, but taking on the insurance company without a professional on your side because of that one experience may not be your best option. The people on the other side of the claim are professionals who do the same work all day every day, and they not trying to increase the value of your case but rather decrease it. I would encourage you to consult another attorney to see if one can provide you better help than the last. There are many qualifies attorneys here on AVVO who would give you a free initial consult as would my office would as well.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com
    (949)851-0222

3. David Alan Wolf

16

Answered . I assume that you are asking if you can represent yourself "pro se". The simple answer is Yes. You should consult with another attorney. If you had no confidence in your prior attorney, you may not have received the right legal advice or guidance previously. Before you have any further contact with the company or the insurance company, you should at least speak to or meet with another attorney. Injury cases can be very complicated and adjusters are trained to handle these matters. Hopefully, through the services of another attorney or on your own, you will get fair and just compensation for your injuries. Good luck.

4. George Costas Andriotis

15

Answered . Yes you can but I would at a minimum consult with another attorney. Also the discharged attorney will likely have a lien for time and costs expended during his/her representation of you.

5. Albert Lee Crosner

11

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, but in that you have not mentioned in your question when you were injured, you could be very close to the running of the Statute of Limitations, which is two years in California. You should strongly consider contacting a local personal injury attorney to help you complete the process with the insurance company and if necessary, file a lawsuit for you. As stated by my colleague, the insurance adjusters are employees of the insurance company and are out to make a name for themselves as getting the best deal for the insurance company (in other words, not for you). I am sorry you were injured.

6. Timothy Leo Bowden

7

Answered . I wouldn't. Contact a local injury attorney here to further discuss your case.

Tim

7. Keith Philip More

4

Answered . you can always attempt to represent yourself - however i would not recommend it - i would need more information as to how the incident occurred and what the diagnosis and prognosis is in order to give you further advice

we will not take any action on this case until we have a signed retainer agreement