Now married to American but came in on tourist visa.

Asked about 1 year ago - Glastonbury, CT

I am applying for adjust status on I-485 and was told by US Citizenship and Immigration that I can apply. I have all my documents but they will not tell me which of part 2 question to pick as basis of eligibility.

1. Dana Roxana Bucin

5

Answered . That's because USCIS is not your "friendly" legal adviser. They are your "judge", so they don't owe you legal advice. For that you go to a good immigration attorney. Applying for a green card is a complicated, detail-oriented process, with a few minefields, and you will have many many more questions along the way. I recommend you at least consult an attorney before you file.

2. Irene Vaisman

5

Answered . It is not the job of USCIS to answer legal questions. In fact, they cannot answer these types of questions. If you do not know how to do something or how to answer questions, it is time to hire an attorney.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . Generally someone who marries a US citizen is eligible as c (9) category. However the paperwork required for a green card is lengthy and complex so I highly recommend consulting an immigration attorney.