Notifying Medicare and Medicaid of Personal Injury

Asked over 4 years ago - Clearwater, FL

If you are NOT insured by Medicare or Medicaid and have an accident, (auto/premises) do you still need to put them on notice of the accident?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Douglas Ron Coenson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . No, only if you a claim is being submitted to them. If you are covered by other medical insurance, the insurer will probably send you a letter stating they are pending payment of the claim until they receive information on your auto insurance.

    Douglas R. Coenson, Esq.
    (561) 315-2120
    Jupiter, FL

  2. Chelsie Marie Lamie

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . No. If you have other health insurance (i.e. Aetna, Humana, etc.) and use that insurance policy for treatment related to your auto accident, the health insurer will have a a lien against any future settlement. However, your attorney should work with the insurance company to negotiate that lien down as low as possible.

    Take care,

    Law Office of Chelsie M. Lamie, P.A.
    Former Adjuster. Former Insurance Company Attorney. Accident Survivor.
    1497 Main St. Ste. 405
    Dunedin, FL 34698

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

  4. Jason Austin Joseph Lundberg


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The above attorney is correct. The only time you need to inform either agency is if they are providing benefits to you.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,802 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,802 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering