Notice of trustee sale posted after bankruptcy filing

Asked almost 4 years ago - San Diego, CA

The default servicing company said they canceled the service to post the notice within 20 minutes of me informing them that I filed bankruptcy. Could the lender be punished for the posting?

1. Gerald Lawrence Wolfe

Answered . The lender may in fact be violating the automatic stay. Speak to your bankruptcy lawyer immediately.

To learn more about these related bankruptcy areas, please follow me on twitter and subscribe to my blog.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . It depends on the case law in your jurisdiction, but given the short time frame probably not.

You filed Bankruptcy to get rid of debt and gain a "Fresh Start" but the creditors won't leave you alone even though you told them you filed! Here is what you should do! 1
    Record the Communication
    When you file Bankruptcy you are protected by a statute called the "Automatic Stay". Section "362" of the Bankruptcy Code is a 15 page statute that basically says that 1)No entity or person; 2) may commit any overt act (i.e. do anything) to; 3) gain possession or control of...4) property of the estate. All of your property is part of the bankruptcy so if someone violates your rights and communicates with you after you filed the case make sure you write down all of the information you can get from them. Name, real address and mailing address, website, corporate name and phone number and anything else your attorney needs to sue them!2
    Check and Make Sure they are Listed!
    Next, and before you contact your attorney, check the mailing matrix and especially Schedule F to make sure the creditor is listed! If the creditor is not listed then let your attorney know. The creditor will probably have to be added to the case!3
    If the Creditor is Listed
    If the creditor is listed write down a summary of the communication. Did the creditor threaten you? What did they say? Did you tell them you had filed Bankruptcy and did you give them the case number? How did all of this make you feel? Once you provide all of this information to your attorney they may have a basis to sue the creditor to enforce your rights! You spent a lot of time, effort, money and emotional capital to finally decide to file Bankruptcy. DO NOT allow abusive collection agencies or creditors take away the relief you felt during or after the case ended. Make a record and determine your rights!

Post bankruptcy discharge the same facts give rise to litigation because you are protected under section 524, or the discharge Injunction. Do all the things stated here and contact your attorney. You also have a right to go after the offender if you gave them actual notice of the bankruptcy and they ignored you.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.