Notice of Nonsuit - what does this mean in Texas?

Asked over 3 years ago - Groesbeck, TX

What does this mean in Texas - NOTICE OF NON-SUIT? Is this like a motion for dismissal?

“The Attorney General, pursuant to Rule 162, Texas Rules of Civil Procedure gives notice of its Nonsuit concerning its PETITION FOR CONFIRMATION OF NON-AGREED CHILD SUPPORT ORDER filed on...”

And is there any limit in Texas on how many times a plaintiff can file the same petition against a defendant and then have it become a non suit concerning an order for child support?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Maria Alicia Lackey

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I think it may be important to know more about what this case involves reguarding a non suit concerning a petition for a non-agreed child support order in Texas. Here is a link to the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure and the text of Rule 162 below:

    At any time before the plaintiff has introduced all of his evidence other than rebuttal evidence, the plaintiff may dismiss a case, or take a non-suit, which shall be entered in the minutes. Notice of the dismissal or non-suit shall be served in accordance with Rule 21a on any party who has answered or has been served with process without necessity of court order. Any dismissal pursuant to this rule shall not prejudice the right of an adverse party to be heard on a pending claim for affirmative relief or excuse the payment of all costs taxed by the clerk. A dismissal under this rule shall have no effect on any motion for sanctions, attorney's fees or other costs, pending at the time of dismissal, as determined by the court. Any dismissal pursuant to this rule which terminates the case shall authorize the clerk to tax court costs against dismissing party unless otherwise ordered by the court.

  2. Eliz C A Johnson

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Look, people take time from their busy schedules to help and when you ask the same question five or ten times, you are wasting everyone's time, yours included. Please list once with all facts relevant. We are doing you a courtesy and service here.

    Contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville,... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,570 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,570 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering