Notice of entry judgment

Can someone help explain what is "Notice of entry judgment" ?

Thanks.

It means that judgment was entered in the case, and the court sent notice of it. Hope that helps.

"Notice of Entry of Judgment" is important because it controls your right to appeal. It is a notice sent by the court or opposing counsel to start the time period within which you must file a notice of appeal, if you wish to appeal the judgment. For unlimited civil cases that period is 60 days; for limited that period is 30 days.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

To follow up to the well-written response of Mr. Daymude, in addition to giving notice to the parties, which has the effect of reducing the amount of time to appeal, it also starts the clock for post-trial motions, such as a motion for a new trial or set aside the judgment. The entry of a judgment also limits the trial court's ability to amend the judgment, except in certain limited situations, permitted by statute. This discussion applies more in the context of a jury trial, but the question posted does not state whether this was a jury or judge trial.

If this was a default judgment and you are the defendant in that case, then you need to consult with an attorney to determine if you were properly served and what steps to take next, so that the plaintiff's attorney does not promptly begin to enforce the judgment by wage garnishment and bank levy and recording an abstract of judgment to put a lien on all real property. If this was for an unpaid debt, then please contact an experienced debt collection defense attorney. The time is limited, so please do not delay if this was a default judgment. Please see link to my options blog, below.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as Avvo.com, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes