Not that you would recommend it, but any serious disadvantages going pro se as a defendant in an unlimited civil case?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cerritos, CA

I am trying to quickly settle and negotiate monthly payments on $10k+ damages, trying to absolutely avoid wage garnishments. Doable if one does his/her own research, files timely and meets all deadlines?

1. Michael Charles Doland

4

1

Answered . Absolutely doable, as my colleague notes. Here you are being sued in the unlimited jurisdiction court in a matter that does not appear to meet the minimum damages required. If you can achieve a "quick settlement", perhaps you are ahead. If not, I think you will be at a disadvantage. Doable and disadvantaged are not mutually exclusive.

2. Richard Leigh Boyer

Pro

2

1

Answered . Absolutely doable. The question is what are the downside risks if you blow it? If your worst case scenario is a $10 k judgment, than you may be smart not to hire a lawyer, because you'll spend more than that in legal fees. On the other hand, even a small judgment can affect your credit and your ability to obtain employment. You would probably be money ahead by not hiring a lawyer and paying a bit more to settle, to avoid wage garnishment and an adverse judgment.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

1

Answered . It is doable to represent yourself in pro per, PROVIDED you are smart enough to know where to look for accurate information regarding the law, court procedures, deadlines, and so forth.