Not paying rent

Hickory Hills, IL |

Can the landlord keep all the stuff in my apartment if rent isnt paid on the 1st of the month and can they acution off my stuff?? And not let me in to get my personals???

The landlord may evict. That is the remedy for non payment of rent

If you do not pay your rent, the landlord can evict you. If you abandon the unit, after a reasonable period or time and with an order of possession, the landlord can dispose of property left behind as the landlord sees fit.

In order to do any of that legally, your landlord first needs to give you proper notice, file a lawsuit in court, win the law suit, and get a court order.

The landlord cannot just lock you out or take your things on his own.

See www.illinoislegalaid.org for more information.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

T

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

?

Landlord-tenant topics