Not paying a laborer

Monroe, NY |

I took 2 laborers from the corner and they did a horrible s... job and I need to redo everything by professional, do I still need to pay those 2 guys for the week and how much ? and what if I don't pay them could they call the police?

1. It would be a civil matter. Were the workers supervised? If yes, did the supervisor point out the problems with the work early on? It is probably easier to pay them for their time and move on. This is more of a business suggestion rather than a legal answer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Pay them a fair wage for the work. Be careful hiring people off the street.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. You must pay them for all time worked even if they did a lousy job, unless they are considered independent contractors. In NY state you must pay employees at least minimum wage ($7.25) per hour worked and time and one half for all hours worked over forty (40) in a workweek ($10.86). Failure to pay can result in serious fines and unnecessary legal costs.

As an initial matter, most day laborers are paid of the books, which means that you probably did not withhold the necessary payroll taxes. If they call the department of labor, which costs them nothing, then you are subject to being audited and any misclassified employees will be reported to the IRS, which can impose that you pay all unpaid pay roll taxes and a penalty in the range of 15%-30% of the total. Additionally, under the NY state wage theft act non payment of wages is considered theft and you may be exposed to criminal liability, although it is unlikely a prosecutor would spend resources filing complaint, you never know. If unpaid overtime is at issue, you will be liable for double damages (double the amount) and if you have no record of the time they worked then the presumption is against you. This is only a portion of the liability you face.

If you feel like dealing with any of the above is worth a few hundred dollars, then that is up to you. However, paying them and moving on is a much cleaner way of handling the situation.

http://www.elhaglaw.com

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services.