Skip to main content

Not listing a child in my green card application

Greenville, NC |

Myself and my ex came to the US on b2 visa, we never had intention of having our baby in the US but just about the time we re to return home she was admitted and the doctor advice she can't fly so she had the baby here. Before then we been having serious issues about the pregnancy, now she returned back home, divorced me and state the child is not mine and the court grants the case.
I'm married now here in the US and i did not list the child in my application considering the fact that of my wife and the divorced paper.
Will this affect my application for Adjustment of status?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You should consult an immigration attorney moving forward. You will need a copy of the child's birth certificate and your attorney may need to look at state specific rules about paternity of a child during a marriage as well. You should seriously consider always hiring an attorney to assist you anytime you are dealing with USCIS.

    Good luck.

  2. It will be an issue.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  3. Is the child yours or not yours? What did the court hold? If not yours, you don't have a child...

    New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics