Skip to main content

Not dependent on parents for College Aid but still classified as such according to FAFSA. How can i Change this?

Greensboro, NC |

I am 20 years old and have been on my own for 2 years now. Every year i fill out my FAFSA it forces me to be considered a dependent of my parents. They make too much money for the government to deem me eligible for grants but they DO NOT provide with finical assistance. How can I change my dependency status so that i may reap the benefits of being financially independent? It has been 2 years and the Government doesn't consider people legally independent until the age of 24. This makes ZERO Sense. I receive absolutely no monies from my parents and yet the government does not consider me eligible for grants. PLEASE HELP!

Attorney Answers 1


Actually, this is based on your parents' taxes. Do they claim you as a dependent? If they do, they must supply information for the FAFSA. Do you live with them during breaks or over the summer? If you truly are independent, discuss this with your financial aid counselor.

Mark as helpful