Skip to main content

Nonsuit in Texas

Groesbeck, TX |
Filed under: Litigation

What does this mean?


The Attorney General, pursuant to Rule 162, Texas Rules of Civil Procedure gives notice of its Nonsuit concerning its PETITION FOR CONFIRMATION OF NON-AGREED CHILD SUPPORT ORDER filed on...

I received 2 seperate letters with different cause numbers that said this exact same thing except filed on 2 seperate dates. Is there a limit to how many times a plaintiff can petition a matter and then nonsuit it? What action should I take?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Please see my responses to your other questions. If you're charged again, hire a family lawyer.

    I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls --- we need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. Thiss answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

  2. Look, people take time from their busy schedules to help and when you ask the same question five or ten times, you are wasting everyone's time, yours included. Please list once with all facts relevant. We are doing you a courtesy and service here.

    Contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

  3. In Texas a person who files a lawsuit, including the Attorney General, is generally free to "nonsuit" (dismiss) the lawsuit "without prejudice" (reserving the right to re-file), so long as no counterclaim has been filed. Unless you have a good legal reason why it shouldn't be permitted as to your child support matter, no judge is likely to tell the AG to knock it off.

Litigation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics