Nonrenewal of lease

Asked about 6 years ago - Erie, PA

I just bought a house in PA and inherited one tenant who is terrible....always paying rent late. His 6 month lease is up on Dec. 15th. I assume it goes month-to-month autoatically although his existing lease doesn't say anything except the lease ends 12/15/08. Can I give him a 30 day notice of Nonrenewal of Lease telling him to vacate by Dec. 26th? I should have given it to him on 11/15/08, but I was still waiting on rent that I didn't want to lose out on. Is it okay that i am giving it to him on 11/26 or do I have to go by the 15th of the month for everything? He was late with rent 5 out of 6 months. I want him gone.

1. Michael Ian Werner

Answered . If you are correct that the lease has now renewed month-to-month, then you must give him a full month's notice of termination (i.e. you must give him the notice by November 15 if you want him out on December 15). Be sure to follow the rules set forth in the lease and ALWAYS give notices in writing.