Non taxable alternatives to alimony?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lake Worth, FL

When we got married I emptied my savings into my wife's student loans. She agreed to pay that back over time since she wants a divorce. If we put that into the divorce settlement, does it have to be in the form of alimony to where it's taxable? Or is there another way?

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

3

Answered . There are other ways to handle this, you should retain an experienced divorce attorney in your area when the time comes for you to move forward on the divorce.

2. Daniel A. Bachert

1

Answered . The best way to be repaid is by obtaining a larger share of marital assets at the time of the divorce, if that is possible. If not there may be other ways to structure a settlement each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

3. Donald G. Criscuolo

Pro

1

Answered . There are diffreent ways to handle that but they all have different pros and cons. For example if handled as property distribution the remedy of contempt for its enforcement is unavailable and therefore more risky for you. You should contact an atttorney for help.