Non taxable alternatives to alimony?

Lake Worth, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

When we got married I emptied my savings into my wife's student loans. She agreed to pay that back over time since she wants a divorce. If we put that into the divorce settlement, does it have to be in the form of alimony to where it's taxable? Or is there another way?

There are other ways to handle this, you should retain an experienced divorce attorney in your area when the time comes for you to move forward on the divorce.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

The best way to be repaid is by obtaining a larger share of marital assets at the time of the divorce, if that is possible. If not there may be other ways to structure a settlement each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951
Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.

There are diffreent ways to handle that but they all have different pros and cons. For example if handled as property distribution the remedy of contempt for its enforcement is unavailable and therefore more risky for you. You should contact an atttorney for help.