Non taxable alternatives to alimony?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lake Worth, FL

When we got married I emptied my savings into my wife's student loans. She agreed to pay that back over time since she wants a divorce. If we put that into the divorce settlement, does it have to be in the form of alimony to where it's taxable? Or is there another way?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are other ways to handle this, you should retain an experienced divorce attorney in your area when the time comes for you to move forward on the divorce.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  2. Daniel A. Bachert

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The best way to be repaid is by obtaining a larger share of marital assets at the time of the divorce, if that is possible. If not there may be other ways to structure a settlement each with its own advantages and disadvantages.


    Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951

    Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a... more
  3. Donald G. Criscuolo


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are diffreent ways to handle that but they all have different pros and cons. For example if handled as property distribution the remedy of contempt for its enforcement is unavailable and therefore more risky for you. You should contact an atttorney for help.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,957 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,957 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering