Non-smokers rights in subsidized senior residential facilities. Warrant of habitability in Missouri? Management responsibility

Asked almost 2 years ago - Owensville, MO

I have just moved into a subsidized senior housing project . I am a senior / disabled / employed ; qualify as extremely low income , Medicare / Medic Aid . Of the block of four ( 4 ) apartments , I am the only one who does not smoke . Not informed of this . Apartment completely rehabbed due to prior tenant dying , to refurbish damage . Supposedly independent heating / AC but apartment is filled with the odor of nicotine / cigarette smoke whenever they are on . Ducts were supposedly cleaned during renovation . I am getting sick , nausea , headaches , etc . due to this condition . Management says apartments going non - smoking as people die / move out . Can not afford to move . Opening windows treats symptom not cause ; air filter should not be my responsibility . What recourses have I if management not amiable ?

1. M. Todd Miller

Answered . I encourage you to speak with legal counsel in your area and if none available speak with the Missouri Bar Referral Service in hopes they can find you one to work pro bono. These are difficult cases but if you can relate some health concerns to the conditions at the residence and they advertised it as non-smoking, etc...you have some hope.