Non-smokers rights in subsidized senior residential facilities. Warrant of habitability in Missouri? Management responsibility

Asked almost 2 years ago - Owensville, MO

I have just moved into a subsidized senior housing project . I am a senior / disabled / employed ; qualify as extremely low income , Medicare / Medic Aid . Of the block of four ( 4 ) apartments , I am the only one who does not smoke . Not informed of this . Apartment completely rehabbed due to prior tenant dying , to refurbish damage . Supposedly independent heating / AC but apartment is filled with the odor of nicotine / cigarette smoke whenever they are on . Ducts were supposedly cleaned during renovation . I am getting sick , nausea , headaches , etc . due to this condition . Management says apartments going non - smoking as people die / move out . Can not afford to move . Opening windows treats symptom not cause ; air filter should not be my responsibility . What recourses have I if management not amiable ?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. M. Todd Miller

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I encourage you to speak with legal counsel in your area and if none available speak with the Missouri Bar Referral Service in hopes they can find you one to work pro bono. These are difficult cases but if you can relate some health concerns to the conditions at the residence and they advertised it as non-smoking, have some hope.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-... more

Related Topics

Defective housing

Defective housing is a building that has health or safety issues, often related to its design or materials used in construction, that make it risky to live in.

Christina L Haring-Larson

Let the Buyer Beware

A recent decision by the Washington Court of Appeals in Douglas v. Visser, on February 25, 2013, held that a buyer of a home has a strict duty to make further inquiries of a seller and a... more

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,217 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,217 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering