Skip to main content

Non-Parental Custody

Lewisville, TX |

How do I get non-parental custody of my 8 year old sister? My mother is the custodial parent living in Texas. I am a currently in the military and stationed in Washington. If my mother agrees, will I still need to file a petition in court?

Attorney Answers 1


If mom does not agree, you have an nearly impossible uphill battle.

If mom does agree, prepare and file an Agreed Petition, and Order, to Modify the prior order. A family lawyer will be able to assist you for a reasonable fee. You should not do this solely as private agreement, since the current court order will supercede any side agreements. Moreover you will have difficulty getting your sister enrolled in school, activities, medical care, etc.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics