Non-Immigrant from the Netherlands, working on E-Visa in NYC, charged with possession, pleated guilty to disorderly conduct.

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I was arrested and charged with possesion of controlled substances to the 7th degree (while in the police station the print out with belongings wrote selling of controlled substances and they took pictures and prints?)
Pleated guilty to disorderly conduct, payed court fee, sentence: time served.
I know only the disorderly conduct charge does not make me inadmissible, but on the certificate of disposition it'll say the inital arrest was drugs related.

In two weeks I'll be travelling for three days to Mexico. Upon re-entry: will I be deported? Or refused? Or what can i expect?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . How do you know that disorderly conduct does not make you inadmissible? It is true that it is not a crime under criminal law, but NY conviction of disorderly conduct equals to a misdemeanor under Federal law. I suggest you consult with an attorney in private. Check this out:

    New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice... more
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your case is closed (meaning you did not receive a Conditional Discharge) it should be sealed and not cause you a problem. If the case is still open and unsealed in theory you could be denied re-entry.... it's up to the Immigration officer. Make sure you bring a Certificate of Disposition with you.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was... more
  3. Joseph Caraccio

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . It will definitely be something that affects anything you do with immigration. You will need an original final disposition. You should speak with an immigration attorney.

    This response does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. I... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,576 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,576 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering