Non-disclosure agreement signed at hire at end of employment

New York, NY |

I worked as an at-will employee, I left the company because my boss wrote me an email in error (meant to send to his superior) saying that he was going to let me go. I fwd'd this email to the president of the company along with my resignation. My former client wrote to my personal email address asking why I left the company. I let her know about the email my boss wrote me and showed her the screenshots of the email he sent me. Is that illegal?

I wanted to be honest because I didn't want her to feel like I left with the intention of screwing her or my employer over. I left because my boss emailed me saying he was going to let me go. I signed a non-dislocure agreement upon hire but signed no ppw at termination. What does the law say?

1. You should consult with an employment attorney. The answer to this question is dependent upon a few things that will require a dialogue.

2. The answer depends on the language of the non-disclosure agreement you signed and the contents of the email you showed the client. You should retain the services of an employment attorney if you are concerned.

The information provided above is for general purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal representation, because the facts of each case are different.

3. Unfortunately we do not have all the information we would need to provide you a complete answer, I would suggest contacting an experienced employment attorney near you.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

4. As others have stated, it is difficult to determine if what you did violates your non-disclosure agreement without seeing the agreement or your e-mails. I would suggest you send those items to an experienced employment attorney that offers a free consultation as many of us do and you can get a better answer.