Non custodial parent wants custody, looking for attorney.

Asked 12 months ago - Hillsboro, OH

I've had custody of my child for 10 yrs and the other parent now wants custody. The other parent has always made poor decisions and only recently come back into the child's life. My daughter is 14 and I know that she can only voice her opinion in court but the court goes by he best interest of child, what are the odds of a judge even changing custody? The other parent has DV charges, had back child support that I wiped away in court, barely even sees our daughter when there is a shared parenting plan in place now. This is just recent.

1. Chase Randall Carter

1

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney immediately. Domestic relations actions especially custody are governed by fact specific situations. Without knowing what all has occurred since the last change in the parenting plan, I am unable to tell you whether or not you qualify for a modification.

Chase Carter
    6 West Main
    Chillicothe Ohio
    740 634 3110

2. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

Answered . It either you have Shared Parenting Agreement or Sole Custody. In either case in order for the other parent to change custody he/she must show the change in circumstances - not his/her own but child's. The child's voice will definitely be considered since she is fourteen. Unless you have some issues, it is very unlikely that the current arrangement will be changed.

Irina Vinogradsky 216-292-6655 irina@iv-law.com

3. Lee Alan Thompson

Answered . Two attorneys have given you advice. You need find an attorney to explore modification. There are many attorneys close to your area that you can find on this site.