Non-Compete Hiring former staff

Minneapolis, MN |

Can my former employer stop me from hiring my former staff. Agreement reads "directly or indirectly induce employee to leave employment with company or any consultant or contractor to change or terminate relationship."

I have been very careful to not reach out and solicit them for any opportunities I may have but have had some former staff reach out to me asking if I may have any opportunities for them. They have indicated that they are looking for new opportunities and will be likely be moving on from their current position either way.

You really need to meet with an attorney on this. Non compete agreements are very language- and circumstance-specific; there's no way to give a worthwhile generic answer.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

Minnesota courts consider non-competition agreements on a case-by-case basis. They need to take into account both the specific language of the agreement and the circumstances of any alleged breach. All of which is a somewhat long-winded way of saying you should sit down with an attorney to review the agreement before making any hiring decisions.