Skip to main content

Non citizen of US, can I change my name here in US ?

Lubbock, TX |

I am a non citizen of united states.just studying here at Texas. I have a F-1 visa expiring on 2013.
I wanna change my first name and my family name both, but I am not sure I can do that here in united states. because I am not a citizen of US.
I need to change them here in US, definitely before my visa expires .
can you help me with that?

well some other attorney told me that I can not change my name here in US, because I am not a citizen. are you sure that state courts accept my application?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You can apply to the state courts to change your change, but this has nothing to do with federal immigration laws.

  2. When you file for a name change, you have to convince the court that you are not trying to avoid criminal prosecution, debts, etc. through the name change. If you are trying to change your name in the middle of some immigration proceedings, that would probably seem suspicious to the judge. But your citizenship status itself is not a barrier to a name change.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics