Nolle Prosequi and background checks for job application???

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, VA

I was charged with marijuana possession back in November 2012 and the outcome was Nolle Prosequi. Haven't had a chance to expunge it yet. Now I am in the process of being hired by FedEx and will apply for CDL training as well (interview and drug test passed). What should I expect from background checks? Can companies' reject me an employment on basis of "Nolle Prosequi" on drug charges? Please advise. Thanks.

1. Victoria Lee Allen

Answered . Virginia is a right to work state. Companies can reject you for whatever reason they deem appropriate. Some companies do not hire if an individual has been charged with a crime. The charge will still show up, but you have not been convicted. It is up to the company to determine whether a charge makes a difference. Typically it doesn't and the company gives you a chance to explain.

2. Elizabeth Lauwaert Tuomey

Answered . Yes, companies can reject you for any reason. You should petition to have your charge expunged from your record. Once the expungement is complete, you can legally answer "no" to the question of "Have you ever been arrested."