Nolle prosequi , how will it affect my Immigration status

Asked over 2 years ago - Decatur, GA

I was arrested in 2009 on a 3 count identity thief and 8 count fraud after much debate , i was given a nolle prosequi because the DA could not prove my involvement . I am currently going for my citizenship sometime in June. My question is will i be disqualified for a naturalization ?

1. Ismail Mohammed

Pro

1

Answered . Immigration can and does qualify theft and fraud crimes of moral terpitude, meaning it does not hold up to community standard of honesty and good morals. The fact that the DA filed a nolle pros does help you however. You should be working with an experienced immigration attorney who will help you navigate through this process. Good luck with everything.

2. Robert West

Answered . Very tricky situation, You need to discuss with an immigration lawyer in your town.

3. Amy Lavonne Wells

Answered . I would suggest you consult with an immigration attorney. They are skilled at working with issues as those you present here and will be best suited to provide you sound legal advise. If you do not have an attorney, your local bar association can probably refer you to a seasoned advocate in your area.

All the very best to you!