No updates on Naturalization case after 120 days of interview and RFE response, despite it's over past Chicago processing time.

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL


My wife received RFE after her citizenship interview on 02/12/13 at Chicago. The interviewing officer wanted originals of my divorce document mailed to his attention after her interview. We sent my original divorce document along with G884 filing and the officer returned my original document within 3 weeks, but we neither got any update on the RFE response review nor the case is moving forward despite an Infopass appointment before a month and a service request through Tier 2 a week ago. During the Infopass, the officer at the enquiry desk informed us that our IO hasn't worked on our case yet and it's idle with him for more than 90 days. Pls advice how to make the IO work on our case or what should be our next step, since it has already passed 120 days after the interview.


Attorney answers (5)

  1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you have proof of the InfoPass and RFE filing, then it may be time for an experienced attorney or Congressional Liaison to intervene.

    An appropriate law suit should be filed in Federal Court one year after the exam, perhaps sooner, depending upon the urgency.

    I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before this matter becomes more complicated. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Alexus Paul Sham


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally you can not force an immigration office to make a decision. Did you send your response to the RFE via certified mail so that you have proof that he received it. As always it is best to consult an immigration attorney.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does... more
  3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The most effective approach I know is to retain an experienced immigration attorney at this point to devise an appropriate legal strategy after analyzing your case.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  4. John Carlos Barrera


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I think at this point you may want to consult and likely hire an attorney to communicate with USCIS to inquire as to the delay and maybe encourage that it move along.

  5. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,982 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,982 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering