Skip to main content

No response from USCIS regarding I-130

San Antonio, TX |

I am US citizen, applied immigration visa for my wife. It has been 6 months, i have sent my I-130 and didn't get any response. I got my first NOA with receipt number but there is no updates available online. I always have to call USCIS help line number to get the updates. However, i know some other people whose I-130 get approved in 3 to 4 months and mine is still in pending. I have written a letter to senator and congressman but didnt get enough help.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You would have had none of these problems had you engaged an immigration lawyer from the very beginning. Senator and congressman will do absolutely nothing for you aside from paying some lip service and sending generic inquiry letters Which will not yield any results.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Make an inforpass appointment and try to figure out what is going on. Letters to congressional people can do only so much. Hire an experienced immigration attorney - always the net option.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. The government may be investigating your marriage.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Unfortunately, as others have stated as well in their answers, Congressional inquiries in this type of a case may not help much. From my experiences, in fact, a mandamus action may be the only option available to you, which is a lawsuit in federal court to help expedite their decision, and it definitely helps get a decision faster, albeit without guaranteeing whether that decision will be a positive or a negative one, which depends on what they have already uncovered in their apparent investigation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics