No response from attorney regarding my divorce case which has been filed in court for over 90 days.

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, MS

I have a petition for divorce that has been filed in court for over 90 days. I haven't heard from my attorney and all attempts of contact have failed. I contacted the court myself and was told the divorce was pending "final judgment" and to please contact my attorney. Should I wait and be patient? Or should I seek other counsel to resolve this matter?

1. 5

Answered . Try contacting your attorney. I have had clients complain about not hearing from me, only to realize they never left a message on my service or with anyone at my office, or were calling the wrong number, or that I got in the middle of a case and lost my message sheets. If a few messages do not work, please send a letter.

2. 3

Answered . If phone calls and letters haven't worked, have you tried camping out in your attorney's waiting room until your attorney either saw you or someone in the attorney's office gets the attorney on the phone?

One thing that was not addressed in your post was whether you had paid the attorney in full for his services. If not, or if there is a disagreement with the payment of your attorney for services, you may need to address that issue with the attorney as well.

3. 2

1

Answered . I agree with the other answers. You say that the petition has been filed for 90 days, but you don't say how long you've been out of contact with your attorney. If your attorney is a solo practitioner, then he/she may be in a trial and unable to get back to you right away. But, if it's been over a week, then you need to send a letter to find out what's going on, and you may want to interview replacement counsel.

Best Wishes

4. Answered . You should send your attorney a written message to contact you. This site shows you are in Madison County. If so, there are two judges that travel over several counties. They hold certain ex parte days in each county. Plus the annual bar conference was held last week out of state and many attorneys and judges were in attendance at that matter. Given your facts, 90 days without final judgment is not unreasonable for a traveling district but I understand it can be frustrating without an update from your counsel.

5. 1

Answered . If you are not pleased with your present attorney, you should seek other counsel.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now