Skip to main content

No proof of insurance in Kansas what would the fine/cost be?

Mission, KS |

Recently moved from Missouri to Kansas (i havent gotten my car registered/tagged ect. Swithed over to ks) and currently do not have insurance on my car.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. No insurance is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of $300.00 to $1,000.00 and up to six months in jail. It is also a "serious traffic offense" which can lead to a designation as an habitual offender of the traffic ordinances, which carries a three year suspension. It can also lead to a suspension by itself.

    Get insurance immediately and speak with a local attorney about representation on the charge. It is more serious than you may have thought.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

  2. You need to get car insurance immediately. You should understand Kansas law is more strict than Missouri law. No insurance in Kansas is a class B misdemeanor, six month in county jail, $300 to $1000.00 for first offense, and driver's license suspended until proof of insurance is provided. Second offense within 3 years, it's class A misdemeanor, 12 months in county jail, $800 to $2,500.00 fine, and driver's license suspended until proof of insurance. Call or email me and I may be able to assist you, or answer other questions you may have.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics