No one signed a retainer fee agreement can you get a refund

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

a father pays for a daughter lawyer and neither father nor daughter signed the retainer agreement. now we want to fire the lawyer is that helpful in getting a refund or half of the payment back. the daughter was under distress and had to turn herself into the police . father lived in another state and put the money in the lawyer account. father nor daughter signed retainer fee agreement.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

6

1

Answered . If the daughter's attorney did not earn the entire retainer, then it might be possible to seek a refund. However, in criminal cases, fees are generally flat rather than billed out hourly, which means the retainer was earned at he time the attorney did any work. The best course of action would be to ask for a refund and see what happens. It does not appear that the lawyer did anything wrong so if the daughter changed her mind, then a discussion with the lawyer might resolve this issue. Even though the father pad the fee, the daughter is the client.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

4

Answered . I refrain from taking sides without knowing the exact circumstances. In the above narrative I do not know the extents of the legal work performed, the exact terms and conditions of the agreement for services and what actually happened.
    As you may imagine, in criminal cases the fees vary with each particular licensed practitioner and without knowing more about the exact details I cannot even guess whether you could be entitled to any fee refund.