Skip to main content

No LEFT turn traffic citation- CHICAGO, IL

Chicago, IL |

I got a ticket for making a left turn to a street where left turn was prohibited. I honestly didn't see the sign that prohibited left turn. The police pulled me over 2-3 blocks away and gave me the ticket.
Is there ANY way to get out of this ticket?
Also, if I choose to plead NOT GUILTY, and go to court, what are the chances that the Chicago Cop will not show up?
If they find me GUILTY, what are the additional court costs?
The ticket is $147 (including traffic school).
Thank you in advance.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. OK, so you did something that was prohibited and your only defense is that you didn't see the sign. Unfortunately, that is not a good defense. If you wish to go to court and take your chances, go ahead and do that. Your case will probably be dismissed if the offier does not show.

    You really have little to lose. You might also wish to seek the services of a traffic attorney to improve your chances. However, you really do not have any defense. The witness against you is the police officer. If your record is clean, you will get supervision which is not a conviction. It is your decision what to do.

  2. A tough case to win as your affirmative defenses are limited, try to seek a supervision (which is not a conviction). If you instist on fighting this case speak with a traffic attorney in person.
    This one is ne of the classic cases of pyrrhic victory in my opinion.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics