No IRA beneficiary.

Asked about 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

I'm wondering what happens now that my uncle has passed away but he didn't have a beneficiary listed for his IRA. He had everything else in his trust.

1. Max M Alavi

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . The IRA will have to be probated through the pour-over will and then distributed to the beneficiaries according to the terms of the trust. The tough thing will be to keep these classified as inherited IRAs for tax purposes.

2. Michael Charles Doland

11

Answered . Without a beneficiary, the proceeds will go into the estate and then pass according to the will (which may be a "pour-over" will into his trust.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

8

Answered . Sorry-the account now needs to go through probate.

4. Celia R Reed

8

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, you might be able to access the IRA funds through a small estate affidavit, depending on the amount in the account. This is a quicker and less involved procedure than a full probate. You also want to check with the IRA fund to see if it will accept an affidavit as some funds will not.

5. Paul Lawrence Zucchino

7

Answered . My colleagues are all correct. Unfortunately, the funds will be required to go through probate and passed according to the pour over will that was presumably set up with the trust was drafted.