No hot water....

Chicago, IL |

My landlord shut off my water heater with no warning. They told me, After they shut it off, it was because my water heater was connected to their gas line instead of mine. Iv been here over six years but they claim to have not known it was connected that way. I have no access to it at all. Im guessing they are trying to lower their gas bill and thats fine with me but am i supposed to live with no hot water until they get a plumber to fix the pipe lines? They claim to have it done soon, but its been connected that way for years and thats not my fault so shouldnt the proper way to rectify that be to leave it on until the day the plumber actually come out!

Contact your city building inspector immediately. This could even be deemed an emergency. you may have other rights under the Chicago Residential Landlords and Tenants Ordinance.

Thank you very much...

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are welcome.

I talked to my landlord after i contacted the inspector and he immediately turned my hot water heater back on. He tried to give me some half-ass excuse for why he turned it back on but i think he knew it was not right in the first place. Thank you so much...

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are very welcome. I hope this helped and that you will enjoy all the hot water you need.

It is likely your landlord violated the ordinance so hire a lawyer and report to the building code department.

Recommended articles about Real estate