No forwarding address for tenant

Asked almost 4 years ago - Redmond, WA

Tenant vacated premises and per USPS, left no forwarding address. In order to comply with my obligations regarding return of deposit, how do I provide proper notice to tenant?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is not the landlord's responsibility to make sure that the tenant gets the tenant's mail. The law requires only that the landlord sends the mail to the last known address. If the tenant does not give the landlord any other address, the last known address for the tenant would be the address of the rented property.

    If the mail from the landlord gets to the rented property and is not forwarded to the tenant, the landlord should take the letter, does not open the letter, and place it in the landlord's file for the tenant. If there is any dispute whether the landlord mailed the letter, the landlord would produce the mailed, unforwarded and unopened letter.

    If you know an email address for the tenant, you should also scan the notice and sent it to the tenant's email (in addition to the postal mail).

  2. Darcel Andrel Lobo

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is only your responsibility to send the secrity seposit to the last known address which in this case appears to be your property. Keep the mail, don't open it, and if and when the issue arises, you have proof that you complied with WA law.

  3. Steven Singh Dhillon

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . This may not be helpful, as I am not familiar with Washington law, but in California, the landlord may send the deposit to the last known address of the tenant if the tenant does not provide a forwarding address. In this case, the deposit should be mailed to the unit the tenant just vacated! Doesn't strike one as an effective way to return the deposit, but that's the way it is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,096 answers this week

2,994 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,096 answers this week

2,994 attorneys answering